California Health and Safety Code, Sections 120325‐120375:
Under these statutes, children in California are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public and private elementary and secondary schools, child care centers, family day care homes, nursery schools, day nurseries, and developmental centers.
Schools, child care centers, and family child care homes are required to enforce immunization requirements, maintain immunization records of all children enrolled, and submit reports.
California Code of Regulations Title 17 Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 8:
These regulations specify California school immunization requirements and provide additional clarifications of the law. Also available at www.oal.ca.gov
Info on SB277:
Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015. SB 277 changes immunization requirements for children entering child care or school. Starting January 1, 2016:
- Parents or guardians of students in any school or child‐care facility, whether public or private, will no longer be allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently‐ required vaccine.
- Students will no longer be required to have immunizations for entry if they attend:
- A home‐based private school or
- An independent study program with no classroom‐based instruction. However, parents or guardians must continue to provide immunization records for these students to their schools, and schools must continue to maintain and report records of immunizations that have been received for these students.
- The immunization requirements do not prohibit pupils from accessing special education and related services required by their individualized education programs.
- Medical and personal beliefs exemptions will be allowed from any new immunization requirement initiated by CDPH for attendance at school or child care. Immunization Medical Exemption requirements:
A parent or guardian must submit a written statement from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) which states:
Immunizations may be given by your family physician or are available at area clinics. Call the clinics for information regarding days, times, fees, and appointments. Information on vaccination clinics can be found at the following links: