Health Office General Information

Mon–Thurs: 8:25 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Fridays and Non‐Conservatory Days: 8:25 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.
Phone: 657.321.4000

California Immunization Law

California Health and Safety Code, Sections 120325‐120375:

Under these statutes, children in California are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public and private elementary and secondary schools, child care centers, family day care homes, nursery schools, day nurseries, and developmental centers.

Schools, child care centers, and family child care homes are required to enforce immunization requirements, maintain immunization records of all children enrolled, and submit reports.

California Code of Regulations Title 17 Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 8:  

These regulations specify California school immunization requirements and provide additional clarifications of the law. Also available at

Info on SB277:

Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015. SB 277 changes immunization requirements for children entering child care or school. Starting January 1, 2016:

  • Parents or guardians of students in any school or child‐care facility, whether public or private, will no longer be allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently‐ required vaccine.
  • Students will no longer be required to have immunizations for entry if they attend:
    • A home‐based private school or
    • An independent study program with no classroom‐based instruction. However, parents or guardians must continue to provide immunization records for these students to their schools, and schools must continue to maintain and report records of immunizations that have been received for these students.
  • The immunization requirements do not prohibit pupils from accessing special education and related services required by their individualized education programs.
  • Medical and personal beliefs exemptions will be allowed from any new immunization requirement initiated by CDPH for attendance at school or child care. Immunization Medical Exemption requirements:

A parent or guardian must submit a written statement from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) which states:

  • That the physical condition or medical circumstances of the child are such that the required immunization(s) is not indicated.
  • Which vaccines are being exempted.
  • Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
  • The expiration date, if the exemption is temporary.
  • Please visit the following California Department of Public Health(CDPH) links for more information:

  • Shots for School ‐
  • Immunization Requirements ‐ 

Immunizations may be given by your family physician or are available at area clinics. Call the clinics for information regarding days, times, fees, and appointments. Information on vaccination clinics can be found at the following links:

Read More

Communicable Disease Control

Parents are urged to adhere to the following Health and Safety Code of California:

If your child shows symptoms of illness during the night, please keep him/her home the following day. Those staying home at the onset of illness recuperate faster and miss fewer days of school. Notify the school immediately when communicable disease is suspected or diagnosed.

Illness, Injury or Accidents at School

If any injury or illness occurs after a student arrives at school, the student is not to contact the parent directly. Rather, the student is to inform the teacher of the injury or illness and then request a pass to the Health Office. Students feeling weak or faint will be accompanied to the office. If a student requires longer than a 15‐minute rest, a parent will be contacted and asked to pick up the child so proper care and attention can be given at home. Parents, or a parent designee, must be available to pick a child up within 30 minutes of a call from the school. Current phone numbers MUST be updated with the school’s Student Services office at all times!

Every effort is made to provide for the student’s safety and comfort at school. If a student should have an accident or injury at school, first aid will be given immediately to make sure the student is as comfortable as possible. If an injury is more serious than a simple bruise or a scrape, parents will be called. If parents are unavailable, and in the judgment of a school administrator, emergency treatment is needed, paramedics will be called.

Following a severe injury or illness, a note must be received from the family physician stating that the student is cleared to return to school. The physician must also order the use of wheelchairs, crutches, or other activity limitations or restrictions.

*Students must come to the Health Office to be assessed prior to contacting their parent. Failure to do so will result in a referral.

Read More


If you have already arranged with your student to pick up at a specified time of the day, please write a letter stating the reason and time of release and have your student take it to the Attendance Office before school. If you forget to write a note, please email You will receive a reply from us when your email is received. You may also call 657.321.4000 and we will do our best to release your student on time.

PE/Conservatory Passes

The Health Office will issue PE/Conservatory passes for up to three days for the specified condition with a note written by the parent/guardian of the student. After three days, a note from the student’s physician must be provided. Students who do not have a note are to ask their teacher to sit out for the day. If a teacher allows a student to sit out multiple times, they may send the student to the Health Office to get parent permission or request a doctor’s note.

Student Medication Policies and Procedures

The following information relates to the administration of medication at the California School of the Arts - San Gabriel Valley in accordance with the California Education Code (Section 49423). Medical treatment is the responsibility of the parent and the physician; medications are rarely given at school. The only exceptions involve special or serious problems where it is deemed absolutely necessary to give the medication during school hours, and where it is not possible for the parent to administer it to the child. Consequently, the parent is urged, with the help of the physician, to work out a schedule of giving medication outside school hours.

In order for school staff to administer medication (prescription or over‐the‐counter) to a student; specific orders must be written and signed by the student’s physician on the “Parent/Guardian and Authorized Health Care Provider Request for Medication” form which is available below. Any time the medication, the dosage, or the time is changed, a new form is required. Each request must clearly specify the name of the medication, the reason for the medication, and the dose, numerical time, and/or frequency for administering the medication. A separate form is required for each medication. A parent signature giving authorization to administer the medication is also required on the form. The Health Office will not accept medication without a valid “Parent/Guardian and Authorized Health Care Provider Request for Medication." No exceptions will be made.

Medication must be in the student’s original labeled container and delivered to the Health Office in a large 10” x 10” re‐sealable zipper clear plastic storage bag labeled with the student’s name. Over‐the‐counter medications must be brand new and in the original packaging. All medications may not expire prior to the end of the school year. An adult age 18+ who is not currently a student at the school must sign‐in and sign‐out medication at the Health Office during office hours. Students are not allowed to bring medication to school.

*Epipens and Inhalers: students may carry emergency medication on their person only if a signed Medication Authorization Form is on file in the Health Office. This form must be renewed every school year.

*CSArts-SGV Health Office does not supply any over‐the‐counter medication.

Read More


Each year, parents will be updating student health information in Aeries during online registration during the summer.  The following additional forms may be required based on specific health conditions:

Select a link below to download a form:

  • Severe Allergy Form – for students who need medical attention if exposed to allergen.
  • Medication Authorization Form (English and Spanish)– Parents must submit one form per medication, which includes over‐the‐counter medication and must be renewed every school year.
  • Multiple Medication Form – If multiple medications will be needed for the same reason, this form must be filled out by the doctor along with the Medication Authorization Form for each medication. This form will indicate to the Health Office the order in which medications are to be administered.
  • Medical Exemption Form is required only for students who either have not been vaccinated, or have been only partially vaccinated. This form requires a doctor's signature and only applies when the exemption is due to physical condition or medical circumstance.  
  • School Participation Following Injury Form a note must be received from a physician stating that the student is cleared to return to school. The physician must also order the use of wheelchairs, crutches, or other activity limitations or restrictions by filling out this form.

Please request these forms from the Health Office:

  • Seizure Action Form
  • Diabetic Care Plan